Applicants - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I check the progress of my application on BreEZe?

A. Yes. The BreEZe system will advise you of the status of your application or if there are any deficiencies.

Q. Is there an application fee?

A. Yes. The application fee is $50.00 and must be submitted with the application. The application processing fee is not the same as the initial license fee (see below for more information).

Q. How can I get an application for a license?

A. You can access the application online at However, you will need to e-mail us at or call 916-263-2294 to have fingerprint cards sent to you if you are not located in California. A complete application package can also be mailed to you by contacting the Board.

Q. What are the requirements for a foreign trained occupational therapist?

A. Occupational therapists trained outside of the United States are required to complete the educational and supervised fieldwork requirements set forth in the Occupational Therapy Practice Act (OTPA) section 2570.6 and successfully complete the entry-level certification examination administered by NBCOT. There are no occupational therapy assistant programs recognized by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists. Only US graduates of occupational therapy assistant programs can take the NBCOT certification examination. Additionally, by law, before the Board can issue a license, the applicant must have a US Social Security Number.

Q. I have had a conviction in the past. Will that affect me getting a license?

A. The Board's primary responsibility is consumer protection. To that end, the Board has the authority to deny a license due to a conviction of a crime or offense substantially related to the qualifications, functions, or duties of a licensee holder. In considering whether to issue or deny a license, the Board considers the nature of the crime/act, the length of time that has lapsed since it occurred, and evidence of rehabilitation. If a license is denied, the applicant is entitled to due process under the law in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act.

Q. I have a license issued by another state. Is there a grace period for me to work in California without a California license?

A. The law allows an OT or OTA who holds current, active and non-restricted license in another state to work in California for 60 calendar days from the date the application is received by the Board. The OT or OTA must work in association with a California-licensed OT.

Please send the application with a return receipt requested to confirm the date the application is received by the Board - you may work for up to 60 days from that date.

Q. How long do I have to complete my application?

A. Applications are considered abandoned two (2) years from the date received or, for completed applications, 60 days from the date of the approval letter.

Q. How much is the initial license fee?

A. The license fee is prorated based on the applicants' date of birth and month the license is issued. You will be notified of the fee in your approval letter.